Thursday, June 7, 2012

DIY Faux Stag Mount

It was about three and a half years ago when I moved from my tiny one-bedroom apartment to a large loft with soaring ceilings. This is the time when faux mounts started to grab my attention. Gorgeous hand carved deer heads, stark white porcelain trophies, intricate wire constructed mounts all drew me in, and I so badly wanted one to hang in the thirty-foot entryway of my new apartment. Unfortunately, I didn't have the money to put down on a fake deer head, so I got creative.
1. I found an ebay maker and seller of a resin mount
 This mount is sold for $45.99, with $15.95 shipping. It comes in three pieces, the antlers detach.

2. Now, get creative. I kept it simple, with a glossy white spray paint: Homedepot.com, $3.87. However, the possibilities are endless. Not only can you do any color you want, you could mix and match colors, you could hand paint, you could decoupage, you could mosaic, you wrap it in yarn, in twin, in wire. ANYTHING!!!
                                                                   
3. If you choose to spray paint, make sure to do this outside, or somewhere with excellent ventilation. Place down paper, or as I did, spray within a large box, to prevent the paint from damaging the floor or other items nearby. For some spray painting tips, click here.

4. And there you have it, an awesome faux trophy for $65! Not too shabby. I recently moved out of my massive loft into a smaller one, yet the mount works perfectly on the brick.


***Several things to mention:
1. While the mount on ebay is a great price for a good item, the antlers of mine do not attach snugly. I have had to repair several breaks from the unstable attachment while moving the piece, however, when on the wall, it is solid. I have added glue to the place of attachment for extra stability.
2. While finding awesome trophies online, of which I listed yesterday, I came across mounts that were made in this fashion being sold for over $100. I am not trying to ruin anyones entrepreneurial attempts with this post, and for anyone who just doesn't feel like being creative, that is still a reasonable price for a wall trophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment